November 2005
Fellow researchers and conversational partners! What a delight to make my way, ever so slowly, through the written dialogues sent for use in our project. If you could see what I see ... I will in time, share this view.
The pressing question I am playing with these days: How best can I understand the spoken and written dialogues created .. and how can your voices be best re-presented in the form of a written text? As Denzin and Lincoln ask, "Will traditional approaches to dissemination be adequate ..?"
Gustavsen discusses the dialogic turn in work-life research as a " ...collaborative effort with people rather than an investigation of them. Vico, too, speaks of inquiry that is not so concerned with the nature of an already existing state of affairs, but rather, the realization of " ...possibilities we make available to us, between ourselves, socially."
And so, as I deliberate over methodology, I continue to engage in a dialogue with each written piece you sent, and, I send my response back to you. As said elsewhere, you may respond to my response (!) however you wish: with silence, with correction, addition, affirmation, concern, etc.
Some of you have yet not received a reflective response to your submission. I have not forgotten you! I have re-read each piece many times. Every reflection is extremely valuable to me, and useful in this project.
Anyone wishing to add their voice to this blog - you know you are welcome. Use your preferred language! If you need to be reminded of (or assigned) username and password info - email me. I'm always glad to hear from each of you. Gayle and Maricarmen, thanks for your notes! Maricarmen, I'd be happy to talk with your friend who is thinking of launching similar research. Yes, pass on my email address.
If I turn to look behind me, through my window, I see the first snow storm of winter. White everywhere!
Janice
The pressing question I am playing with these days: How best can I understand the spoken and written dialogues created .. and how can your voices be best re-presented in the form of a written text? As Denzin and Lincoln ask, "Will traditional approaches to dissemination be adequate ..?"
Gustavsen discusses the dialogic turn in work-life research as a " ...collaborative effort with people rather than an investigation of them. Vico, too, speaks of inquiry that is not so concerned with the nature of an already existing state of affairs, but rather, the realization of " ...possibilities we make available to us, between ourselves, socially."
And so, as I deliberate over methodology, I continue to engage in a dialogue with each written piece you sent, and, I send my response back to you. As said elsewhere, you may respond to my response (!) however you wish: with silence, with correction, addition, affirmation, concern, etc.
Some of you have yet not received a reflective response to your submission. I have not forgotten you! I have re-read each piece many times. Every reflection is extremely valuable to me, and useful in this project.
Anyone wishing to add their voice to this blog - you know you are welcome. Use your preferred language! If you need to be reminded of (or assigned) username and password info - email me. I'm always glad to hear from each of you. Gayle and Maricarmen, thanks for your notes! Maricarmen, I'd be happy to talk with your friend who is thinking of launching similar research. Yes, pass on my email address.
If I turn to look behind me, through my window, I see the first snow storm of winter. White everywhere!
Janice
<< Home